On the most beautiful autumn day last week, I presented my first in-person keynote in over 12 months.
This was to a team of white-collar professionals, some of whom were accredited life-coaches, published authors, poets and Film-Script writers on the side. Their main job was obviously a high-pressure one, lonely at times and suited detail-oriented individuals, over my enneagram 7 personality profile type.
Aside from a few pre-show nerves and nearly being locked out of the room; the event went spectacularly well.
- Coaxing an unsuspecting delegate into a push-up competition, where he completed 17 more push-ups than he (or his team members) ever thought possible.
- Said delegate, not dying on me.
- Sharing the powerful story of Captain Charlie Plumb (Who spent 6.5 years in a Viet Cong prison camp during the Vietnam war and emerged better for it!).
- Concluding the presentation with an amazing poem found on one attendee’s Instagram pages
- Quoting Les Brown, Zig Ziglar, Brené Brown, Bob Burg, John David Mann to name but a few of the world’s greatest motivators, authors and human beings.
I walked away with a huge learning that I want to share with you today.
Through seemingly no fault of their own, not a single attendee had heard of David Goggins, Bob Burg/John David Mann, Zig Ziglar or Les Brown. Even world-renowned shame expert Brené Brown was only known by a single person, by proxy of his wife and her interest in positive psychology.
I was confused to begin with, but then I realised something really important.
I never used to know about these amazing people either.
The aforementioned names are people that if you get an opportunity to watch, listen or be influenced by your life will change in the most positively profound manner possible.
What it showed me, is that my mission to become the world’s most positively influential motivational speaker is even more important than I thought.
Everyone and I mean everyone, should have an opportunity and access to this information. And since it not taught In schools, universities or prisons…I guess it’s up to me and anyone else that loves sharing this amazing content to continue to spread the word.
Like the great man Les Brown says
“You were created on purpose for a purpose. There is a thirst and hunger in your heart that is real. Pay attention to it”